I'M HERE TO INSPIRE AND BE INSPIRED!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Quilt Along Wednesday




My QAYG Pointy Paisley homework is done! I seemed to have a lot more weird areas in this design that I had to backtrack and fill, but I like the way it looks. I reminds me of candy corn, especially on the orange(Kona School Bus Yellow).

I used leftover bamboo batting from my mini sample project. I have to say, I like it! It drapes so much better than the warm and white I usually use. My QAYG pieces are not all created equal. I have used different threads, and different battings to see what I like. I hope the end product doesn't get all funky after  having done this. I think(hope) it will be fine since it is just a bed quilt. I probably should be taking notes, but I'm taking mental ones;)




I have had a quilt in my head for a couple of weeks now. I was first inspired by the quilting on THIS beautiful quilt made by Fabienne Chabrolin. I LOVE the quilting on it. I don't have the patience at this time to hand quilt, probably because I'm on a crunch to make Christmas quilts. So I was thinking, what FMQ design could sort of mimic this simple stitch? Then I remembered Leah Day's Spikey Vine design. OK, now I was getting somewhere. That led to more inspiration! I knew I wanted a quilt fitting for a boy. So, For the design of the quilt, I came up with this.

So I'm thinking, Piece this design in the middle. Have a big chunky border with Spikey Vine quilted In the marbled direction likeFabienne Chabrolin's quilt. I think all of the feathers and chevron's we have seen lately also influenced this design. I am not sure how to create it. Strip piecing will be the easiest, but I am worried about the points and "v's" at the top and bottom of the graphic feather design.  How will I meet them up to look like one piece.  Oiy, figuring the math on things like this perplexs me! If anybody has any ideas, throw them my way! I have other things to work on while I figure this out!

This design is subject to change! I may keep as is, or by the time I am done, it could be totally different. :) But it is always fun to see one idea lead to another.

19 comments:

  1. Hi! You left a comment on my blog about the Cathedral Window QAL, but you're a no-reply blogger so I couldn't answer your question! If you can e-mail me, I can answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again? Geesh, dang Google plus. I keep changing it but I guess I'm going to have to drop google plus to keep my settings right. Thanks for letting me know. danih03@wowway.com

      Delete
  2. Your Pointy Paisley loks great! I can't wait to see what you decide to do with this new quilt design. If I were going to piece it, I'd definitely strip piece it similar to the chevron pattern that's around. The quilting would then give the appearance of the middle straight strip. Good Luck! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advise. I'm not sure I will keep the layout like this. But I have a little time. I'm going to work on my wonky star quilt and finish my greek cross quilt first:) I like to take my time in the design process.

      Delete
  3. Loving the orange pointy paisley, your FMQ looks fab. I like the design of the new quilt too. Will it be just two colors or will the "feather" pieces be multiple colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't quite decided on that yet, I was thinking 3. One for the feathers, one for the background, and one for the border. It's for my son, so I have to keep that in mind.:) and he loves blue

      Delete
  4. Your Pointy Paisley FMQ looks great. I like your quilt design.
    Would make a wonderful boy quilt. Jelly rolls might work really well for this design. What kind of fabric are you planning to use for borders and sashing, print or solid?

    Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than likely solids. My son is 11. A tough age to be picking out prints. Tweenagers are hard!

      Delete
  5. Your question about piecing has me curious to see how you'll end up handling it. My first thought was strip piece it, and then applique the center of the arrow over the strips...that way you can maintain the integrity of your points. I'm very new to piecing though, so I'm just approaching it from an angle that I could actually do.

    I love your FMQ too! It does look like candy corn on orange! That thought never occurred to me as I worked on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Those 2 end pieces make it hard to figure out!

      Delete
  6. Your paisley is fab and love the design it sort of reminds me of a tyre tread which is a great idea for a boy!! Just one question, what is candy corn??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy corn is a halloween delight. pretty much pure sugar.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_corn

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really does look like candy corn - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pointed paisley looks awesome! I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really hard, except the weird areas you have to fill.

      Delete
  10. Hi Danielle,

    This looks a lot like a french braid design, and that could be one way to approach this. I'm not sure if that center piece is the color of the feathers or the background, but I would proceed as follows:

    I would create six strips in alternating colors (background and feather, on the angle you prefer), then trim them so you have strips that kind of look like a barber pole. Add triangles of the background color to the ("bottom") ends (of the "feathers") that are slanted away from the center (to square them off). Next add the middle sashing piece. Finally, square off the top with two triangles of the background material.

    If the center sashing is supposed to be the color of the feathers, then I think I'd creatively piece the bottom of the feather stem in order to make that divot. I can't see that there is a reason to add a center seam to the feather stems just to make that divot.

    Well, hope that made sense and is helpful!

    Nice job on pointy paisley; I haven't got to that yet. I just posted lava and snake paisleys last week due to a really hectic three-week stint at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advise! Yes the center stem will be the same color, at least at this point. But you never know! A girl has a right to change her mind! ;) I will check out your lava and snake paisley

      Delete