I'M HERE TO INSPIRE AND BE INSPIRED!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

How my brain works

I got my wonky stars quilt pieced tonight. As some of you may know, I have 5 quilts to make before Christmas. This one is #2.

When I first saw the wonky star, I knew I wanted to make a quilt of them. So I started out making 13 blocks, then lost my steam. I realize now it's because I didn't have any sort of plan to go with. Aside from dying the purple fabric, I simply just started sewing.

When Leah Day started UFO Sunday's I knew I had to get back to this one. So while I was sewing the Greek Cross Quilt I started thinking how I was going to layout this one.

I didn't want rows of stars(like the Greek Cross quilt is laid out). Although I love the Sparkle Punch quilt, I couldn't do that for one, my stars were all the same color and may get lost. For two, I had already pieced blocks. So unless I wanted to disassemble them or start over, that was not an option.

I like to do something a little different than every one else if I can. Also, I had to make it fast as possible. So I decided to do 2 vertical stripes of stars with negative space on either side and the middle. I also offset each star.

Here is the start of my backing. I got the idea after watching Elizabeth Heartman's Creative Quilt Backs on Craftsy. (If you haven't watched this free class, I highly recommend!!) The front is fairly simple, so I figured the back needed a surprise.

Sometimes I start with a clear plan, sometimes not. Sometimes it changes because of a better idea, sometimes the supplies at hand force me to change plans.I think about my design ideas while in the shower, while sewing, while at work.....ehem....pretty much all the time.

This week Leah tells us the importance of doing one project at a time. So if you get stumped at a certain point of the project,instead of starting a new project there are other things you can do while you think it through. You could skip ahead and make the backing of your project. You could also make the binding. Spend time with your kids. Take the day off from sewing. Orrrrrrr, you could clean your house:0 Mine, for one, gets neglected due to sewing a lot!!!! ;)

18 comments:

  1. Sometimes our brains might be twins! Other times, mine fails me! Leah has a good point about one project at a time - whenever I get a a few going, I begin to feel overwhelmed! Anyway, I'm anxious to see your finished wonky star quilt and how you quilt it! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that out real fast! I used to do one project at a time. Then when I few UFO's I was so stressed! Thank goodness I only had a few and I'm correcting that now!

      Delete
  2. Using negative space is a great idea, it draws a lot of attention to the stars, and your FMQ will get a chance to shine in the white sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't decided how to quilt it. But I have a few ideas!

      Delete
  3. This will be a great gift! You're right about finding other things to do instead of starting another project! Good luck. Oh, and I'll have to check out Craftsy. You're the 2nd person who's mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Danielle, it seems our minds work alike. I even woke up a couple of times last night and realized I'd been dreaming FMQ - yes, it gets that bad! I love the idea of your wonky stars quilt top and look forward to seeing it quilted with all the opportunities presented in those negative spaces! It'll be a treasured gift for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I have dreamed it yet! It's not a good picture of the quilt, but I will get a better one once completed. It's for my step-daughter Megan who loves purple:)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's awesome. Love the back, love the front. I can't wait to see what great FMQ you put in that negative space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks! I think I know the pattern I want to use, but no final decisions yet:) Now, I have to wait for more Kona Ash to come in because the piece I had was a tad short :( Guess I will jump ahead and make the binding tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt and the backing is a wonderful idea.
    I too absolutely love Elizabeth Hartman's Craftsy class for Quilt bakcs. I also love her "Inspired Modern Quilt" class. Its a good class for modern quilt inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't taken the Inspired Modern Quilt Class, but I plan to:)

      Delete
  9. ha ha at the shower! I love the wonky stars and great coordinated back. You are very ambitious to make five quilts by Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a choice at this point! I just HAVE to do it!

      Delete
  10. I like your decision to go with the offset stars. I'm crossing my fingers for you, finishing 5 quilts by Christmas sounds a little crazy to me lol. But it looks like you have a good start. Keep that momentum going and good idea to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete