I'M HERE TO INSPIRE AND BE INSPIRED!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Quilt Along Wednedsay

Flowing lines is a pretty easy design to quilt. If you turn it like I have the photo, I kinda looks like water!

I came home from work today and the first thing I did was kick off my shoes. I walked over the the kitchen sink and my sock was suddenly wet. Eew! I hate that. I looked down and OMGosh!  Over the summer I had a brief interlude with tie-dying and fabric dying. My friend had mixed me up some plum color that I had in a milk jug. It wasn't upside down or anything. I wonder if the dye ate a little hole in the jug? I didn't bother to check. I was trying to clean it up without getting anymore dye anywhere.


It could have been worse. There was quite a bit of dye left in the jug that I poured out.

In better news, I got my Greek Cross Quilt all quilted and trimmed up. Ready for binding!

I may wait until tomorrow. I think a nap sounds better right now! But I have a question for Leah first.

I have seen a lot of edge to edge quilting lately. A lot of straight lines and waves. How would you quilt this in a big quilt? Would you keep it edge to edge still, or start in the middle? Your quadrant quilting method is great for the designs we have done so far. Will it work for edge to edge quilting?

I'm linking up with  Quilt Along Wednesday's at the Free Motion Quilting Project.

14 comments:

  1. Flowing lines is easy - I agree! Yours looks great. Glad you found the dye when you did - it could have been disastrous! Enjoy that nap! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm glad the dogs didn't walk through it!!

      Delete
  2. Your cross quilt is looking great! Glad the dye episode wasn't more of a disaster...sounds like you handled it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried. What are you gonna do? I really didn't want to clean up that mess, but it had to be done.

      Delete
  3. Great question Danielle! I'll answer in more depth tomorrow, but basically I'd stitch edge to edge from the center of the quilt. So start a line of quilting in the center, wiggle it off to the edge, break thread, then start again on the same line and wiggle off the opposite edge.

    It's honestly a real pain to do this on a big quilt. I have some tutorials planned for November and basically my opinion is yes, it can look terrific, but also yes, it is time consuming and a literal pain in the neck to shift a big quilt so much with every line of quilting.

    Nice catastrophe though! Wet socks and dye all over the floor obviously wasn't fun, but look on the bright side - your kitchen could have been covered in white carpet, which would now be plum!

    Cheers,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wood laminate floors so it's all good:) I will check out your full description tomorrow. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Gah! I hope nothing is stained purple. The Greek Cross quilt is looking great, can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. No I don't think anything is stained but my fingers :)

      Delete
  5. Like the quilting design on your Greek cross quilt. Looks great. Glad the mishap with the dye was limited to the kitchen floor. Could have been worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Me too! I'm glad I caught it when I did! And soooo glad the dogs didn't walk through it!

      Delete
  6. I hate wet socks, too! Were you able to get all the dye off? Your flowing lines looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, pretty much. the bottom of my sock is purple, and I threw the towel away. thanks:)

      Delete
  7. I love your flowing lines done on a wider space. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! It doesn't look to bad as an all over design:)

      Delete