I'M HERE TO INSPIRE AND BE INSPIRED!

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Purse Palooza 2010 Entry

   This is my entry for the Purse Palooza 2012. The pattern is the Emmaline Bag from Emmaline Bags and Sewing Patterns. I saw Shape Moth's review of the bag pattern and I loved her fabric choice, so I went in the same direction. I used Home Town Square by sweetwater Gray/Grey canvas and Home Town Cross Town by Sweetwater in Mist.

   I took me 3 long days of sewing to complete this bag. Either I am a slow sewer, or just way to methodical. As methodical as I thought I was being, I did have a few mistakes. Thanks goodness I wasn't to far in to it to correct them.

   My biggest mistake was here. I double stitched each seam down. I think it looks better and it also helps hold those bulky seams down. This is much easier to accomplish before you get the base attached. I had 6 seams to double stitch. After I attached the base, I noticed I had forgotten a seam. Rather than rip out the base, I turned it inside out and carefully added the stitching. You would never know...YAY! This is what happens when you work on something all day into the wee hours of the morning. When I get tired, I make mistakes!

   The next time I make a bag I will use canvas for the outer shell and lining. Why? I hate fusing interfacing!!! It takes forever. No matter how good you think you have it attached, It eventually screws up. I painstakingly added it to the canvas, and the lining. Now that it is done, I don't think I needed it. Especially if I would have used canvas for the lining. Also, last year, I made a school bag for my daughter. Once water hits it(like rain) it starts to bubble and wrinkle. I plan on making a wallet which I know will need some sort of interfacing for structure. I think I will opt for the sew in type and see how that goes.

I wouldn't say this bag was the easiest to make, but if you take your time, an advanced beginner can surely make it. And pin the heck out of it!!!! I think if I make this bag again, It wont take me nearly as long;) I like how it turned out, but I wonder how it would look whitout the interfacing......hmmmmmm.

One last thing, although the bag isn't the easiest to make, the pattern for it is VERY CLEAR in it's directions! Janelle did a great job. Don't be afraid to give this pattern a try. I think the second time around, I won't even have to refer to the directions :)


5 comments:

  1. Hi there Danielle. You've done an amazing job on this! I love, love the canvas you used, it's so perfect and looks so lovely with the lining. Loved your post! I agree... I hate fusing the interfacing, what a chore! Can't wait to see your next one ;) Janelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janelle. I edited my post to assure bloggers that while it wasn't the easiest bag to make, your pattern was very clear. Anyone could make a simple tote with no pattern,but a bag with this much character for sure needs a pattern. That's all I meant. It's a great looking bag....and so roomy:)

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Janelle. I edited my post to assure bloggers that while it wasn't the easiest bag to make, your pattern was very clear. Anyone could make a simple tote with no pattern,but a bag with this much character for sure needs a pattern. That's all I meant. It's a great looking bag....and so roomy:)

    ReplyDelete