Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Quilt Along Wednesday
I didn't have any elastic, so I made due with what I had. I used a piece if foam poster board and cut it down to about a 1/2 in. bigger than the cloth. Then used binder clips to hold it. I was unsure of how the paper layer would hold up. It did fine, but the whole board buckled. I had a picture of this, but I lost my camera in my sewing room. I actually at this point, think the camera walked off. I searched high and low. It's gone. IPhone photos will have to do until I get a new camera. :(
After the binding was attached, It was a little wavy on the edges. To fix this I used a squirt bottle of water to wet it. Then laid acrylic rulers on top of it, and put my acrylic extension table on top of it for a little weight. It did the trick. Not quite sure how I would fix a big quilt, though.
Question for Leah: If you forget to measure before soaking the quilt, is all lost. I couldn't seem to get past that, because if I measured from the outer feathers to cut, I wouldn't get a perfect square. If I measured from the center out, to get a square, the distance between the feathers and outer edge was not equal. I opted for the perfect square, since the distance was not to much off.
What I learned. Take your time with blocking and follow directions!! Accept that quilting/blockin/cutting cannot be perfectly accurate and jsut do the best you can;) And don't sweat the small stuff!!