I'M HERE TO INSPIRE AND BE INSPIRED!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Corner Quilt Label Tutorial

Here is the culprit. This is where my camera went! My 16 yr old son helped himself, and then lied! I would have had no problem letting him borrow it, but.....grrrrrr. At least I have my camera back!:)

To make a corner quilt label first cut a square. I cut this one 6 1/2 X 6 1/2, but you can make it any size you think you will need.



Fold in half into a triangle, iron, open back up.


Cut a piece of fusable interfacing square 1/2 in smaller than your fabric square. Then cut it diagonally in half to form a triangle. lay it up to the crease you made on your first square. Fold your square back up and iron.

You can add chalk lines to help you FMQ your label information straight and even. I clipped my thread tails for this demo, but you could hide them.

Before I get to the end to add to your quilt, here's an optional label. I almost did one like this for my Hearts and Feathers quilt, but the corner label is a little easier. 

Cut out a rectangle piece of fabric what ever size you want. I think I cut this one 4 1/2 X 7. I cut the fusable interfacing 2 inches X roughly 6 inches. The short width is half the finished size. Sorry, I do my own funky math for quilting. I hope you understand what I am saying :/ Place the interfacing 1/4 inch down from the top of one of the seams. Fuse it!


Seam the piece together.

Flip it out!


Iron it putting the seam as close to the top as you can. this will be the back of the label!

Mark it as needed and FMQ it is needed!

place the top edge of your label under the 45 degree mark of a square ruler. Trim off the excess.



 Pin it to your unfinished quilt. Then, add your binding! I did a less than stellar job on my binding, but I was just trying to get a quick tutorial done :) You could always blind stitch the "pockets" of these labels down. i didn't on my mini, because I didn't see the need. I probably would on a bed quilt. You wouldn't want to get your foot caught! There is no exact size for these. Just make them as big as needed for the information you want on your label. Hope you like it!



15 comments:

  1. Thanks! Looks easy except for the FMQ - guess it's time to learn more! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! the FMQ is pretty easy! If you can stipple, you can do this. It is very similar to writing. Just go slower:)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this...this is really helpful. Can't believe you do FMQ on your label...that is very impressive. Have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really Cool quilt label! Love it!
    Welcome to the NEW Quilt Blog Linky Party! Thanks for sharing the Button and the link! Tweeting your blog for you too!
    I see you are also helping others get started... I know what it was like! Share your posts on the weekly Minutes for Me Linky Party and your may want to check out the May for Me Celebration Page and join the fun of that too!
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for doing the NEW Quilt Blog Linky Party! Us new bloggers need that!!

      Delete
  4. Nice labelling system. Did you know that it sometimes is better to put it on before you totally finish quilting? This way people can't take it off and put their own label on it and proclaim that they made the quilt. Learned this from one of my quilting teachers, a long time ago!. Found you via Marcia's Linky for small blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that before, but I didn't know it was because people would steal your credit! The things people do continues to surprise. How can you take pride in something you ripped off??? Not you...haha well you know what I mean

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle...I have chosen your blog for the Liebster Blog Award (not only because I like your blog but also think that you do the most witty of comments. Congratulations!

    Karin at http://thequiltyarn.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea and a fantastic tutorial! I think I'll use this method instead of the one I use now. There should be no reason why I can't do it using my inkjet printer fabric. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great! Glad you like it! You could for sure use your printer! I was just out of ink and had to use an alternate method! But if you print it on fabric, I wuld start printing in the middle of the page so you could fold the fabric in half and cut your triangle. Hope that makes sense!

      Delete
  8. I'll bet good handwriting skills help with this label ;) I'll try it anyway. I love the look of this label and am new to FMQ.

    ReplyDelete