I'M HERE TO INSPIRE AND BE INSPIRED!

Sunday, February 10, 2013

A few finishes

I'm still here! I haven't done much blogging for this year. I have been concentrating on things at home. Trying to get things clean and organized. Let's just say...I have a long way to go. It's so hard to balance what you love to do with what you need to do. But I'm working on it.

I do have a few finishes this year. I took the Craftsy class Design Your Own Handbag with Brett Bara. I thought I pretty much knew the in's and out's of handbag making but I actually learned a lot. She gives great instruction and I love her zipper method!! (so professional looking)

Here is my first bag.

Great backdrop, eh? haha I had to take a quick snap shot before I gave it to my friend. I wasn't sure if she really loved it, until she text me telling me so. She also added that she want's to go shopping to find more fabric to make her another one;)

Here is the next one.

I'm not sure who will get this one. Pink is just not me. But it's a really nice size. On this bag I experimented on interlining. This is suggested in the Craftsy class. I used duck cotton from Joann's. the stiff 100% kind. I love the weight and flexibility it gives to a handbag!!  The only drawback I see is that I don't think I would wash the bag once it's made. This bag, I did not prewash the duck cotton. I am working on a bag now that I did prewash the duck cotton. It shrinks horribly! It would be very hard to whip it back in to shape since it is the middle layer of the bag. Even if you pre-wash it, my guess is it would do the same thing all over. It was a lot of work to get the fabric smooth again. I won't be pre-washing the duck fabric again. For the outer fabric I used twill cotton fused with Pellon SF-101(shape-flex cotton woven fusible). I love this combination! The twill is a nice sturdy weight for the outer fabric of the bag. I used quilters weight cotton fused with the Pellon SF-101(love) again for the lining. Of course, as I mentioned above, duck cotton in the middle. As for using the duck as interlining, I worked out a method(trick) to keep the bulk down on the top of the bag. I may do a tutorial on this later.

The white bag above, I didn't use the duck cotton for the interlining. I used the same twill fabric as I did for the outer fabric of the bag. It won't stand on its own like the pink one will. Both will work, but I prefer the duck cotton interlining. However, I think the white one with the twill interlining will be more likely to be machine washable. I haven't tried to machine wash either one. I'm basing this conclusion on how the fabrics reacted when I washed them initially. Try at your own risk!!

I plan to do more experimenting with hardware. If you haven't made a bag before, It's very fun and a little addicting.

Here is a quilt finish!

This will be for my sister-in-law. She is having twins, so I still need to make another one. Any suggestions for a quick easy quilt? This quilt measures 45inx60in. It will be a generous crib quilt size and big enough to go on to her toddler years. Oh, I forgot to say she is having girls :)

Here is the back.

I know, its a little crazy looking. Let me explain this madness. First off, lets just say things are financially tight around here. I'm on a fabric diet(forcibly) and there is no room for waste. The solid bricks were intended for the front. I didn't like the way it looked, but I wasn't about to waste them, so on the back they went.  The strips of prints were left-overs from the front. Again, waste not want not. I didn't put a lot of thought in to the layout of the back, but hey, it's functional;)

The only time I had to go back to the store for this quilt was for the binding. I did not have enough of any of the fabrics left to make it. My husband saw the fabric in my purse after I smuggled it in the house. I defended myself by saying " It's for YOUR sister!" :) Really, though, she is my sister, too. I love that girl;)

Well, that is all I have for now.

Danielle








11 comments:

  1. I LOVE those bags, I have seen a few beauties come out of that class! Next time it goes on sale I'm going to enroll!

    I haven't been able to find Pellon locally here in Canada, can you guesstimate the weight of Pellon SF-101?

    The baby quilt is adorable, love the backing, the scrappiness adds a lot of interest! ~ Tabatha at BendingPins.com ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the Pellon SF-101 at Hobby Lobby. Joann's carries it too, sometimes. It's looks like sheet material. It doesn't look like the papery kind. I'd say its a little bit thinner than a sheet. If you get the craftsy class Brett goes over it and has samples to show you. I really prefer the woven over the other kind. You don't get the bubbles in it like the papery kind. Hope you can find it. If not, you could always order it online. Keep in mind it's not very wide. I think only about 22 inches.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you are back...those bags look great. Very professional finish. I also like that baby quilt, scrappy look and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karen. It's good to be back. I wasn't sure if I should link up since I didn't have UFO's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I've missed you! I love the bags. I may have to consider that class - I'm sure there is always something to learn! Love the baby quilt. Have you ever done a scrappy binding? Just join the pieces with straight seams instead of diagonal ones. It always looks good on scrappy quilts. A couple of baby quilt ideas - squares alternating with 4-patches OR 16 or 25 squares surrounded by 2 or 3 borders. Many of my baby quilts come from my stash. Whenever I buy fabric, it seems there is some left. It is so much fun to make a 'free' quilt! I'll be using a lot of my stash this year - I've also been cleaning and organizing and I need to move some of this fabric out of here! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne:) I will be stash diving for the next quilt. My husband finally got back to work. Whew! He has been laid off most of the year. But I will not go crazy fabric shopping. I won't buy unless I really love it;)

      Delete
  5. Very cool improvised quilt back! Until I read the description, I thought it was based on Space Invaders. Look forward to seeing its sibling. One of the things that could make an easy but graphic top would be a star made from really big HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does kinda look like Space Invaders, haha! I like the star idea! I saw a huge partial star, kinda hanging off the side with a lot of negative space not to long ago. I might go in that direction. Thanks, you got my wheels spinning:)

      Delete
  6. I'm with MC. Love that improvisational back. The solid bricks with windows offset the much busier inner section with out being predictable sashing style borders. You have an eye for design and color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Gwyned!! What a great compliment:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that back is really fun! I like the offset blocks.

    ReplyDelete