I'M HERE TO INSPIRE AND BE INSPIRED!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Bloggers Quilt Festival Entry



I've been looking forward to the Bloggers Quilt Festival because I have a special finish for the year of 2016. My very first donation quilt! We will talk about all the blah blah blah's in a minute so without further ado, here is 
BARN STARS

OK, now for the blah blah blah's. Back in 1985, I graduated from St. Benedicts. I attended 7 schools in my life and this was the school of friends I bonded with and will never forget. I can run in to a classmate and it's like we never left.  Well I ran into one one day and we decided to have a class reunion. We got 6 other people on board to help and now we are planning a reunion for 2017! Problem is, we have no money for a budget to plan.

I decided to make a quilt to raffle off to make some cash for the event. We thought we would be able to enter it into the St. Ben's summer social and give half of the proceeds to the school, and keep half for our reunion. Well, it didn't quite work out like we thought. Father explained that the money for the social goes toward tuition costs for less fortunate students. He didn't want to set a precedence. Although we completely understand, it was a little disheartening.

I still want to find a way to raffle this off to raise funds for our reunion, but I'm afraid I don't know where to start. I know legalities are involved with permits and such, so it's a little daunting. Suggestions would be appreciated!

This quilt started with the fabric and sort of evolved. I had no pattern or direction and just kind of went with what came to me.
Close up of the quilting, zippling.

I bought all solid fabric at first but even that decision quickly changed. I originally was going to make one big star. My goal was to make it super big, super fast! I can never keep things that simple. It went from one star to 4. then while making the stars I wanted arrows on the top and bottom. I knew I did NOT want a border. I really wanted to keep everything floating.

The whole thing measures about 70 x 98. Hmmmm, I may have to tweek it if I ever make a pattern. Not exactly standard. I know my long legged friends would love it, though;)

The back was an evolution of left-overs. I always seem to have left-overs. I think the back deserves a little personality too. Don't you?



With the quilt label, I added some ravens to represent our school mascot

And no quilt photo shoot of mine would be complete without my little Zoey

I mean...look at that precious smile :)


I hope you love it as much as I do! I'm really pleased with how my first quilt design turned out!


Good luck to all who participate in the Bloggers Quilt Festival!




7 comments:

  1. Do a go fund me page. Make it a raffle entry for every $5 donated. Nice quilt BTW 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is beautiful! And I love the back too! I'm not really sure what the legalities are for raffles. The Go Fund Me suggestion might work. You definitely need to use social media. Good Luck! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt, I love both the front and the back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the first picture, I thought this quilt might be a baby size. Knowing now that it's much bigger, I like it even more. I love large blocks! And the back is as appealing as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is gorgeous! Why not auction it off in eBay, setting a reserve price to make sure you get an adequate amount of money to fund your reunion? I would absolutely bid!

    ReplyDelete